Astrologers have been awaiting this planetary configuration for a while now. A cardinal grand cross is a rare occurrence. I’ll do my best to keep the astrology speak to a minimum and stick with the meaning.
A grand cross is formed when four planets are 90 degrees apart in the sky and is composed of two oppositions and four squares. This is a cardinal grand cross because each of the four planets are in cardinal signs which means they initiate action – so a very active configuration. We will be compelled to resolve four different areas of our lives: our self-identity (Aries), relationships (Libra), home life (Cancer) and work (Capricorn).
Planets are in constant motion in the sky above us. Sometimes they appear to move backwards due to the movement of the earth relative to the movement of the planet. We call this apparent backward motion retrograde. That’s why this grand cross sort of comes and goes into and out of configuration over the next several months.
The position of the planets in the sky is measured by degrees of a sign. The closer these four planets get to the exact degree of the grand cross the more intense the transformational energy will be felt. Here are the dates when they will be the most exact:
1. December 27, 2013 through January 12, 2014 all four planets will be within 8 degrees of exact aspect with one another.
2. April 20 – 24, 2014 they will be within 1 degree.
3. April 7 – May 14 within 8 degrees.
4. There is also a total lunar eclipse at 25 degrees Libra on April 15, 2014. It will last nearly an hour with the Moon turning dark red. It will be visible from anywhere in North and South America. Eclipses are the exclamation points – they enhance or ramp up planetary energies.
5. Finally a solar eclipse at 8 degrees Taurus on April 29, 2014 may bring another wave of intensity. Taurus is an Earth sign, so it may also bring some stability and calm as this grand cross begins to move out of aspect.
No planetary configuration is either harmful or helpful. It all depends on how each of us responds to the energies at play.
Most astrologers feel this grand cross signals a very challenging time period for most of us. As you can see from the above dates, the cross will form in December, 2013 and cycle out by May, 2014, with the most intense time period being April, 2014, followed by January, 2014.
This grand cross will bring us plenty of energy and lots of chances to make changes in our lives. How we choose to use the energy or respond to it is the question for each of us. To what extent are we mature enough to work with these energies? How clearly do we see ourselves?
Since these planets are in cardinal signs – Aries, Cancer, Libra and Capricorn, anyone with natal planets in those signs, especially the early degrees of those signs, will be more likely to feel the pull of this grand cross. These cardinal signs initiate new phases of our development. We may be pressured to make major internal and external changes.
This grand cross may cause the breakdown of long-standing patterns and help us rebuild those aspects of our life in a way that supports our higher good. Oppositions call for balance and integration. Squares represent turning points. We may feel scattered or drained until we learn how to focus and stay centered in what may feel like the midst of some sort of internal or external storm in our lives. What changes are asking to be made? What patterns or beliefs are no longer in your highest good?
You may find meditation, spending time alone in contemplation or time in nature will help you stay centered and grounded as you negotiate your way through what may feel unsettling.
This is a cycle and will pass. The purpose is to help us live a more authentic, joyful life. To help us clean out our closet, let go of what no longer serves. Where in our lives are we stuck, not happy, going through the motions?
Remember these planets are in the areas of Aries/Self – Libra/Relationships – Cancer/Home – Capricorn/Work.
Our ability to respond to what life brings in a way that is in our highest good is one of our greatest gifts. Here we go – school’s in session.
Large parts of this article are quoted from:
1. 2014 Riding the Rapids through the Heart of the Uranus – Pluto Square by Tem Tarriktar, Mountain Astrologer, December/January, 2014
2. Gemini Full Moon by Stephanie Austin, Mountain Astrologer, December/January, 2014